The Milken Family Foundation’s innovative initiatives continue to forge new pathways in the realms of education, medical research and public health.
Founded by Michael and Lowell Milken in 1982, and directed by Chairman Lowell Milken, the Milken Family Foundation strives to discover and advance inventive, effective ways of helping people help themselves and those around them lead productive and satisfying lives. Since 1982, MFF has pursued this mission through its work in education, medical research and public health.
The belief that young people are not only our greatest natural resource, but our greatest national resource has been the guiding philosophy behind our groundbreaking education reform initiatives. Whether founding the nation’s preeminent teacher recognition program, highlighting the importance of early childhood education, advancing the effective use of education technology, or leading the nation’s most successful comprehensive education reform system, MFF continues to champion strategies that elevate education in America and around the world.
- Strengthen the profession by recognizing and rewarding outstanding educators, and by expanding their professional leadership and policy influence.
- Attract, develop, motivate and retain the best talent for the teaching profession.
- Stimulate creativity and productivity among young people and adults through programs that encourage learning as a lifelong process.
- Build vibrant communities by involving people of all ages in programs that contribute to their growth and well-being.
Medical Research and Public Health
In medical research and public health, advances driven by MFF are transforming the ways in which research is conducted and connected, while concurrently strengthening awareness of opportunities to improve daily life. From scientific exploration to practical application, we aim to improve the health and well-being of individuals and communities worldwide.
- Advance and support basic and applied medical research—especially in the field of cancer—to discover causes, treatments and ultimately cures.
- Improve public health awareness through education, research and practice.
- Support public health care programs to assure the well-being of community members of all ages.